An Audi/VW Scan Tools are high-tech, practical, and innovative devices that you can use to interact with your vehicle. You can use it to run diagnoses, and to reset systems like your check engine indicator, your oil check indicator, and much more!
With a quality scan tool, you will discover a world of customization and convenience. To find the best scan tool for you, first, make sure that your car is compatible. Most cars from 1996 forward are (including the Audi and the VW) because that was the year it became mandatory.
Then, look for a scan tool with the features that you need and like. There are some scan tools that seem to have it all! The top 5 best Audi/VW Scan Tools are reviewed here.
- 1 Why Use A Scan Tool?
- 2 Features To Look For
- 3 5 Best Audi/VW Scan Tools Review
- 4 FAQ
- 5 Final Thoughts
Why Use A Scan Tool?
With an Audi/VW Scan Tool, you can customize and perfect your car. At the press of a button, you can diagnose faults and discover a fix. As you probably know, car dealerships are not always trustworthy. They will often tack on unnecessary fees, and the process can be lengthy. What’s more, they are not always on-call.
There are sure to be some especially bothersome car issues that you will want to be dealt with right away. Instead of wasting your time at a dealership, the best Audi/VW Scan Tools will help you find a simple, low-cost fix. With the best professional automotive scan tool, you can diagnose your vehicle anytime, anywhere!
Features To Look For
The best Audi/VW Scan Tools will be extremely compatible. Upon purchasing an average scan tool, customers were disappointed to discover that it was unable to connect to their car. Before purchasing your scan tool, make sure that it is compatible with your specific vehicle (and year of make). Cars manufactured after 1995 are OBD2 compatible, in general. Still, for individual scan tools, you will want to double check!
A Variety of Apps and Customization Options Available
With the best Audi/VW Scan Tools, as with any purchase, you should get the most bang for your buck. Scan tools range from your basic functions and apps, to more complex functions, and greater variety. So, what do you require? Some of the most popular services available are: engine light reset, EBP brake release, oil check reset, emissions diagnosis, and more.
This is a highly sought-after feature that will allow you to check the traction and function of your brakes overall. You can learn whether repair or maintenance is necessary. Some of the best Audi/VW Scan Tools are even sophisticated enough to adjust and improve the traction of your vehicle in the meanwhile. So, a scan tool is not just the most convenient option, it can be the safest one as well.
Oil Check Reset
A change oil light can be serious, or mean little. Vehicle systems are not always accurate. As you are sure to know, oil serves to lubricate the internal parts of your vehicle. A car will not function as smoothly without sufficient oil, or if the oil pressure has become too low.
If you have just refilled your oil, yet the check oil indicator remains, you will probably want to run a diagnostics check. There may be an issue that you will need to address; or, the indicator could be malfunctioning, and you will need to manually turn it off. You can learn everything that you need to with a quality scan tool!
Engine Light Reset
For many, the engine light can prove a small but incessant problem. When these indicators are working properly, they are very useful. However, even the most sophisticated engine check indicator will not tell you what the problem is in any detail. A quality scan tool will.
Additionally, engine check lights tend to glitch. Chances are that there may not be anything wrong at all. Still, it is better not to take the risk, and to make sure that your engine check indicator will really work.
The best Audi/VW Scan Tool is one that you can rely on. In this busy, modern life, none of us want to waste time dealing with car issues -or a slow scan tool. The ideal scan tool is one that will connect simply and quickly, to save you hassle and time. You will also want a long-lasting and durable scan tool. Delaying the need for replacement will give you the most bang for your buck. You will need a device of truly quality craftsmanship (like those reviewed below!).
(Optional) Advanced Services!
Many of the best Audi/VW Scan Tools offer optional advanced services, for an additional price. These premium features include: providing readings on airflow, fuel pressure, tire traction, and more. Some will let you customize even the smallest details, like the pace of your left-turn signal click!
5 Best Audi/VW Scan Tools Review
1. Carista OBD2 Bluetooth Adapter and App
The Carista is one of the best Audi/VW Scan Tools out there. The product is super user-friendly. Just plug into the OBD2 and turn on your Bluetooth. The Carista will connect automatically! From here, you can begin to learn about your vehicle. This scan tool is also compatible with many, many partner and third-party apps alike.
This scan tool offers professional, dealer-level technology, in a small package. With the Carista, you can connect to your car and perform diagnoses at home! For example, you can:
- Find out why your check engine light is on, and turn it off. This is an annoyance that many are happy to get rid of.
- Displays a list of vehicle fault codes, and what they mean. You can easily find out what you need to fix.
- Allows you to reset the inspection service indicator, which is quite handy!
- Check and reset airbag, ABS, and more (for supported models only).
- Is your car ready for an emissions test? This smart scan tool will be the first to let you know.
IOs and Android Compatible
The Carista is iOs and Android compatible. All that you need is Bluetooth LE. The Carista will use this to connect directly to your vehicle.
Free 1-Month Trial
Not sure about the additional, paid Carista app features? That’s okay! Give the 1-month trial a try, and see if it is for you. The paid Carista app features are packed with customization options to choose from. Enjoy the selection, and decide whether or not to continue your subscription in the meantime.
The Carista scan tool also offers advanced service. This is available for certain models only. For example, the Audi and Volkswagen have an EPB retraction tool, service reset, launch control counter, and more.
The Lexus, Toyota, and Scion have special pressure sensors (TPMS), TRAC/ABS/VSC inspection, and more.
- Instructions are clear
- An impressive amount of customization codes available
- Free 1-month trial
- Optional advanced service
- You must pay in order to access all of the features in full
- Sometimes, the scanner may read a bit slow
Customers Say: They love the many customization options. One customer had a bulb go out and found out why, allowing them to solve the problem at home. They claimed that the scanner paid for itself, and they were happy to save. Some folks wished they did not have to pay to access the features in full. The scanner has also been said to sometimes run a bit slow.
2. ANCEL VD500 Audi/VW OBD II Diagnostic Scan Tool
This scan tool is said to diagnose 12V 16-Pin Volkswagen/Skoda/Audi/Seat V/A series of vehicles. These are vehicles manufactured in 1996 or later (non-electric). The Ancel is also compatible with some light trucks and cars that are 12V. The Ancel scan tool works best of all with the Volkswagen (VAG). See below!
Diagnose Your Car
The Ancel is specially designed to keep your car running smoothly! Work out any kinks that occur with your very own scan tool. This scan tool can:
- Reset your oil check indicator.
- Reset the throttle position adaption and brake pad (EPD). If your vehicle starts to shift incorrectly, seems less powerful, or begins to stall, you may want to check your throttle. You can do this with the Ancel scan tool, and clear the trouble codes as well.
- Reset your check engine indicator.
- Retrieve VIN information.
- For the Volkswagen, this scan tool car reset the brake pad and throttle, as well as reset the oil.
The Ancel scan tool is crafted from an anti-shock and slip-proof material. A user-friendly keyboard allows you to control the scan tool. The tool features a 2.2-inch LCD high-def screen as well. Browse your options and see how you can help your car improve.
Makes Replacing Your Brakes Simple
Brakes are of paramount importance when it comes to driving safety. They work hard, and eventually, they will wear out or experience technical trouble. The Ancel scan tool will come to the rescue. All you need to do is run diagnostics, and replace the brakes if necessary.
New-Gen Electronic Stability Program
With this device, you can be safer than ever! The Ancel will literally improve the stability of your vehicle. How? The scan tool can detect the loss of traction, and adapt accordingly. This is a new-gen feature, to help folks feel (and be) more secure.
- Excellent at diagnosing brakes, for replacement or a manual fix
- Easy operation
- Retrieves VIN info
- High-def screen
- Made from anti-shock and slip-proof material
- One customer said the cable was a bit shorter than they would like
- Screen is said to not actually be true to color
Customers Say: Customers say that this scan tool is easy to operate. One customer said that the screen is not the true color, as it is claimed to be. Another wished that there was a longer cable.
3. Autophix Enhanced AP7610 Audi/VW Multi-System Diagnostic Scan Tool
Use this Audi/VW Scan Tool to diagnose 12V, 16-pin vehicles (Volkswagen/Skoda/Audi/Seat V/A Series, and so on). Some 12V and light trucks are also compatible (if they are manufactured after 1996).
Reset and Diagnose With Ease
This is a high-tech device with all of the classic features:
- Oil reset. Do you know that pesky overdue oil change indicator? You can turn it off with this scan tool.
- Battery monitoring system (BMS) reset.
- Electronic park brake (EPB). Replace or remove the brake cable safely, adjust its tension, calibrate a replacement, and more.
- Electronic throttle control (ETC).
This multi-system scan tool is protected by a hardy, grippable and drop-proof case. The device is comfortable to use, on the road or at home.
This scan tool has a 2.8” TFT 262K true color LCD display screen. You can use the user-friendly silicone pad to interact with the menu, read test results, etc. To use this device, simply connect your scan tool to the OBD2 port in your vehicle. The scan tool should connect automatically once you turn your car on.
- True color LCD display
- Comes with a case that is grippable and drop-proof
- Replace or remove brake cable safely
- Sometimes a bit slow
- A couple of folks have had trouble accessing some features
Customers Say: According to customers, this device has all of the classic features and fits the bill. They appreciate its durability, and how it lasts a fairly long time. Some have expressed the wish that it would work a bit more quickly, or that they could access more features overall.
4. Veepeak OBDCheck BLE OBD2 Bluetooth Audi/VW Scan Tool
This is a scan tool with many, many apps to choose from. These include Car Scanner ELM OBD2, OBD Fusion, Torque Pro, and more. Use this device to transform your Android or iPhone into a diagnostic tool. The Veepeak is compatible with both Android and iOs. For your convenience, it comes with a mini carrying case as well.
Usually, scan tools are not compatible with electric vehicles. The VeePeak is a great alternative. Not only will it work with OBD2-compliant light trucks and cars, but it also supports pickup trucks and even some vehicles that are electric. This is arguably the best automotive diagnostic scanner when it comes to sheer compatibility! The majority of vehicles manufactured in or before 1996 will work with Veepeak.
A Sophisticated Car Scan Tool
This state-of-the-art device will allow you to access trouble codes and freeze frame data. From here, you can:
- Reset the check engine indicator. For some reason, check engine lights always seem to turn on and get stuck… even when, in reality, there is no issue. However, that bright symbol can be distracting. And how are you supposed to tell when a check really is in order? A top-quality scan tool like this can let you know!
- Get sensor readings in real-time. With the best Audi/VW Scan Tools, you can check in on your car whenever you like.
- Estimate fuel economy. The diagnostics these devices provide are very useful. You can even use them to estimate fuel economy and the like.
- Create a customized dashboard of your own. There is nothing quite like customization. To monitor your vehicle, you can create a dashboard with this scan tool. This makes diagnoses and fixes nice and quick.
Simple To Use
This device is energy-efficient and uses less power than WiFi. Just use the OBD2 port to plug in your scan tool. Your Bluetooth will take it from there! Access your custom dashboard in just moments, anywhere, anytime.
- Ultra compatible
- Custom dashboard
- Customers have found to last a long time
- Sometimes the scan tool is a little slow
- Some have found this device to disconnect every once in a while
Customers Say: Customers have praised the quality of this scan tool. The device is said to last an especially long time. This is without a doubt one of the best Audi/VW Scan Tools, and one that is sure to have your back. The issues? Sometimes the device will disconnect or is a little slow.
5. Foseal WiFi OBD2 Scanner OBDII Audi/VW Scan Tool
The Foseal is one of the best Audi/VW Scan Tools for delivering clear readings with plenty of detail. This includes the basics, like resetting the indicator to check your oil, and those that are more complex, like the airflow rate! Vehicles manufactured in the US in or after 1996 are compatible (except for cars with 24V).
Improved OBD2 Diagnostic Tool
The Foseal provides clear, detailed readings, with its improved diagnostic tool. With this device, you can:
- Reset the check engine indicator. Every best car code reader should have a check engine reset, or the like.
- Manufacturer-specific and generic codes alike. You will have total access with the Foseal! There are both manufacturer-specific and generic codes that you can view.
- Engine RPM (rotations per minute).
- Calculated load value.
- Coolant temperature. Make sure that your coolant isn’t overheating; if it is, find out the cause, and the fix!
- Intake manifold pressure. Intake manifold serves to ensure that your vehicle evenly distributes its combustion mixture. This can be disrupted by the incorrect pressure level. A scan tool such as this will allow you to check!
- Intake air temperature. The intake air temperature plays a key part in the combustion mixture.
- Airflow rate. An improper airflow rate will cause your car to hiccup and stall. Should you suspect this to be an issue with your vehicle, you can use the Foseal to take a look.
- Fuel pressure. The normal fuel pressure is 35 to 65 pounds per inch. To ensure that your vehicle remains within this range, use a quality scan tool, like the Foseal.
On Android and iOs
Every compatible vehicle can access this scan tool on Android or iOs. This means that you can interact with your vehicle system from your tablet or phone!
- Advanced features (like airflow rate) available
- Widely compatible
- Readings are detailed and clear
- Connection may sometimes be a bit slow
- This device may disconnect every once in a while
Customers Say: With Foseal, diagnostic readings are both easy to comprehend and full of detail. The primary downside is that the device may sometimes disconnect, or become slow.
Q: How do you use a scan tool?
A: The best professional automated scan tool will be simple to install. All that you need is an OBD2 port and Bluetooth. Some scan tools also require a tablet or phone.
Q: What are the best Audi/VW Scan Tools?
A: The best professional automotive diagnostic scanner will be cost-effective, with a wide range of compatibility. There should also be plenty of features on offer (engine check reset, air flow rate, etc.).
Q: Does Audi use OBD2?
A: Yes, in 1996 or newer VW or Audi.
Q: Will this scan tool work on a 1999 Saab-93?
A: Yes! For vehicles manufactured after 1995, OBD2 compatibility is mandatory (in the US).
Q: What do I do about a vehicle linking error?
A: Some find success if they turn the ignition off for roughly 10 seconds, and then back on. Double check that the scan tool is securely connected to the OBD2 port as well.
Thanks to modern innovation, you can enjoy a better Audi/VW experience and a smoother ride than ever before. Rather than depending on a dealer, you can run your own diagnostics at home, or anywhere. This will save you both money and time. Audi/VW scans tools are all about practicality, safety, and convenience.
All that you need is a quality scan tool, in order to address various issues, reset, and more. Choose the best fit for your individual requirements and vehicle.
There are some truly excellent Audi/VW scan tools out there, like the 5 top-rated devices reviewed above!